DropCase Project - Community Feedback

Community Overview - DropCase

Section 1

Abstract:

DropCase ultimately aims to be a cross-chain, music NFT aggregator - a way for investors/consumers to organise their music NFTs across all chains into one, easy to use, beautiful looking product.

Section 2

Problem being solved:

Music NFTs (and blockchain as a whole) are disjointed by nature.

DropCase could change the way both listeners interact with music on-chain (by being able to collect music NFTs and store them in one location) and artists - allowing them to target and reward their core listening base

Further, DropCase could be the foundation of on-chain albums and extended projects

Section 3

Positive impact of solving the problem:

Web3 Music would benefit hugely from a product like DropCase

It will aggregate music across chain, allowing music NFT collectors to organise their music into one location

It will allow artists to target superfans and airdrop music directly to their DropCases as gratitude for their support

It will act as a benchmark and first step in the direction of legitimate on-chain albums and EPs, something that hasn’t been done before

Section 4

Current status of DropCase:

Currently, the DropCase project is being developed by Rewired, a blockchain consultancy company.

We’re nearing a proof of concept that will prove the storage/collection of music NFTs under one smart contract.

We’d further like to continue this development by building a UI that allows investors to control the NFTs stored within DropCase and over time, release other features (both from a functionality and customisation/aesthetic perspective.

Section 5

Next Steps and Extra Details:

We require community input and feedback to understand the sentiment around such a product

We’d like to know the following:

• Do the community see this as a useful product?
  • Would the community invest in this product? (either with time/skills or resources)
  • Do the community believe in this product and feel it has a market fit?
  • Would the community store their music NFTs in a DropCase?

Community input is vital at this point and will make the difference between abandoning the project or continuing its development.

Feel free to read through the below links that contain more detailed information:

https://www.canva.com/design/DAE3Woqsjs4/B75imkhqLmmEBxr86VvkfA/view?utm_content=DAE3Woqsjs4&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link2&utm_source=sharebutton

3 Likes

Thanks Dan,

Super useful for web3 music management. I would store my digital collection in a drop case 100%

2 Likes

Great work, Dan.

I would absolutely use this tool for my Music NFT collection.

I also would like everyone reading this to know that I spoke with Jimi Frew, and he let me know that this tool if developed, would be utilized by Emanate as well.

2 Likes

I’d love to see this project come to fruition, there’s a gap to be filled in web3 music and Dropcases can help with that.

Great work with the writeup and presentation, seems like a lot of thought has already went into this project and it’s actually a lot more than I could’ve imagined from the first medium articles about Dropcases.

1 Like

I love the idea of the DropCase being a parent folder to nest NFT’s in the case and create a collection or playlist or compilation that can be sold as a whole. This would need to be on Polygon for the concept to be feasible as nesting an Eth mainnet NFT to the case would incur a fee. Makes total sense on Polygon.

I am still a little unclear as to how it works as an aggregator though. I can see how it might live on multiple chains as an omnichain NFT but how would the NFT itself aggregate collections across chains?

Using LayerZero it is possible to create an Omnichain NFT that can live on multiple chains and change properties based on which chain it lives on. This will flag the user as an owner of a DropCase on a particular chain and will be able to receive promos on that chain. A user is able to move the NFT across to another chain without fees and view the NFT’s properties.

Note: This can be used as a Proof-Of-Concept of Omnichain Music NFTs that can move across blockchains.

Instead of a DropCase being minted on a particular chain and then having the home chain as it’s a final destination, using LayerZero it is possible to create an Omnichain NFT that is possible to live on any blockchain.

Chain A properties: Polygon Sticker, Purple glow colour, addons

Chain B properties: Ethereum Sticker, Blue glow, different addons

Chain C properties: Avalanche Sticker, Red Glow, alternative stickers/addons

Here’s an example:

• Mint NFT on Polygon, NFT reveals common properties
  • Bridge NFT to Ethereum
  • NFT reveals different common properties
  • Bridge NFT to Avalanche
  • NFT reveals rare properties

Developers could create unique Omnichain gamification that modifies NFT properties based on the chain they live.

Using a protocol like Holograph built using LayerZero tech, musicians would be able to save up-front minting costs.

A term that they coined is, “Mint Fee Arbitrage”. Taking advantage of the low transaction costs of minting NFTs on one chain and bridging to sell those NFTs on a more liquid chain.

Simply stated:

• Mint on the most affordable chain
  • Sell on the more liquid chain

NFTs will no longer be prohibitively expensive to develop, allowing producers who were previously priced out of the market to prosper.

2 Likes

Definitely an interesting idea that has many chances for life.

1 Like

Really cool
Definitely worth doing, the market needs this product

The DropCase as a product can be super useful to store music NFTs from disjointed marketplaces / chains. For now I see it as a multichain wallet.

But I can see it as standalone product. Currently I’m storing my music in 3 ways :

• on a streaming app. It’s not really my music but through playlists and likes I can find it easily.
  • on my hard drive, mainly songs bought from bandcamp or downloaded through P2P soft .wav, to play DJ sets.
  • physically, my records are in a Kalax from Ikea, at home.

With these three ways, I can play my music directly through a friendly interface / device that let me do many other things.

I don’t want to use a wallet to get to my music, even if I collected it and it’s an asset I own that potentially get me benefits.
I would need an app with a killer UI. Maybe like a blockchain based streaming app that recently got into beta ? :smirk:

In terms of adoption I think this will be key. Hope to see it come to life really !

1 Like

I see this working really well and helping to bridge artists from web2 to web3 platforms with a well understood concept. That I see as the primary blocker to web3 music consumption at the moment - awareness, education and (albeit relatively low) technical barriers to entry.

I would certainly buy into this and use it as a music consumer, assuming it integrated into the leading web3 music platforms, as has already been said :wink:. Also interested to see how it could develop from a label perspective, perhaps aggregating label artists’ work, as a kind of label vault maybe…?

Some great potential here, would be happy to help test any prototypes. Should probably get on with setting up these artist NFT releases and collections… :grin:

I love the idea of this! One of the issues I’ve had is using the perspective of people who are not as techy having trouble having a place to store all music NFTs in a spot and listen to make their experience smooth and easy.

1 Like

After reading the above I don’t think this is something the community should pursue yet. Firstly because of priority, think there are bigger fish to fry, moreover I don’t believe the product is solving any real problem in the space.

For me the problem has not really been identified or thought about thoroughly. It’s stated as “Music NFTs (and blockchain as a whole) are disjointed by nature.” So far Music NFTs are barely used. There needs to be some user research to both validate and identify the issue. What is the actual problem? Are users complaining that they aren’t able to see or play all of their music in one specific place? If so, what are some examples of this?

Why also does it matter what chain the music NFT is created on? The music files themselves are not even stored on the blockchain. Any product that wants to aggregate music can easily do so with permission to access the file. From my understanding this is actually one of the biggest problems facing Music3, which is that the file itself needs to somehow be protected. If that is indeed the problem this is trying to solve, I don’t see any technical solution in this proposal for that.

Additionally, Im not sure I quite understand how the product even solves the problem stated above. It doesn’t necessarily matter what chains an NFT lives on in order to play an MP3/WAV or other music file.

I think this proposal needs should be discussed more.